Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sun, Mountains & Dog

If you think Taiwan is a boring place for the aged, it's time for a 'paradigm shift'.
This is my second trip to Taiwan, and maybe, I was better prepared, the journey, was simply, amazing.
In terms of experience, my stay two-day stop at a minsu in CingJing (清境)was really good for the body and soul. The crisp mountain air - ok, you can smell sheep feces too, but who cares (!), and the soaring mountains that seemed to go on endlessly!
We were really quite blessed that the weather was good - sky was clear and the sun was always shining.
Our host, the affable 李老板 (Mr Li) was helpful, knowledgeable and well, incredibly entertaining! If you do not ask him to show you the night sky, you would have missed his amazing 'laser' show.
At his 观星园 (Starry Minsu), it is famed as a location in 清境 for star gazing. We met two Singaporean couples there and started pointing into the sky, trying to show each other the locations of the constellations. Then along came Mr Li, who said matter-of-factly, "Ah, you mean this one?"
Utterly flabbergasted, this green laser beam shot out right into the night sky, seemingly to hit the stars itself. This was better than Omni-max ANYTIME!



Mr Li is a man of discerning taste. The food he served, his hot pot, his coffee, even their humble home-cooking was a gourmet experience.
Winter is a time where they mainly serve their prized cabbages. It has a much sweeter aftertaste than what we are familiar with in Singapore. And it was so for the onions, capsicum and even ginger!

On the second night, we had the hotpot. His 招牌菜 - salted vegetable soup was unexpected! He revealed that he had prepared the stock by slow-boiling it for about 6 hours. The results was a robust, flavourful soup base that had a hint of sour and saltiness. By adding the other ingredients, like corn, mushrooms, toufu, etc, the soup becomes progressively sweeter. It was great fun to eat on a cold night.
Mr Li is incredibly generous with his food and more often than not, we find ourselves stuffed to our noses and still have food left. He has however, a very 'green' way of not wasting food. It comes in the form of a Siberian Husky called - DuBi (read - DooBee).


I fell in love with her at first sight.
She greeted us - well, anyone for that matter, with a slight woof and a howl. It was really cute and well, she really eats anything. You can get her to do tricks by baiting her with food. But I think as guests, we should also feed her responsibly. I think she doesn't move much and because she is sooooooo cute, guests can't help but feed her (of course, you can't say no when her eyes are on you so hopefully).
Mr and Mrs Li were very kind in letting me play with DuBi. I also managed to take her out for a walk.. more like she took me along for her run. She is a really pretty and affectionate dog. Makes me want to have one like her....
I'm sure to go once more, to enjoy the morning sunrise, the quiet peacefulness of the mountain-side, the amber beauty of the retreating sun and the night jewels in the sky!

12 comments:

  1. We are staying a couple of minsu further down from where you stayed. Hope you also saw the meteor shower on the 13,14 Dec from Cingjing. So many shooting stars in 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hihi
    I came across your blog while surfing for cingjing info..makes me so tempted to go cinjing too!
    may i ask how you manage to get to cingjing..from taipei?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shi,
    I took the fuss-free way to CingJing, via the e-GO bus that departs daily at 7am from the Taipei Train Station. http://www.cingjing.gov.tw/news/index.php?index_id=24
    There is a faster way discussed at Trip Adviser where you take the High Speed Rail to TaiChung and a 'nantou' bus to CingJing. You can then call Mr Li to pick you up to his minsu. Since he is situated quite high, you will need him to pick you up.
    Hope this helps and let me know if you need further information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Cool! I'm going there on the 01/02 - 02/02. How is the room like? Really can gaze the stars ma...? That's what I want to see the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    Believe me, you SO CAN! But of course, it has to be a clear sky. I believe one of the forumer didn't manage to see cause it was a cloudy night. Ask Mr Li to show you some of the famous constellations like the Orion's belt, the Seven Sisters (M45 cluster) and if you are lucky, the 'cloud-like belt' the cuts across the sky, the Milky Way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to add, you can connect with Mr Li via this email address: hclee0701 at yahoo.com.tw

    ReplyDelete
  7. What crisp - yet heartwarming - details of yr moments in Cingjing!

    Yr sharings here is specially memorable - when U spoke of how U indulged in the mountainous scenery & surroundings.

    And of course - there's DuBi. I love dogs. And will check DuBi out in my trip to the minsu.

    Thks for sharing, Pluto! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, i plan to go in early nov? what will the temp be like? do this starry minsu come with personal bathroom inside the room and with water heater too? for ego bus which run direct from taipei to cingjing, how long is the time taken?


    thanks/ mario singapore

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI

    Have written to Starry. Will they really reply? as I have written quite a few email even to Cngjing farm itself. Afraid they may not understand english.

    Check with you, what is the payment like? How did you go about booking the room? Is Starry responsive as I will be going to taiwan in early Nov.

    Pls advise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! Well, Mr Li can read English really well. I communicated with him via email in English. But also bear in mind that this is really busy period for him, and it's really just him and his wife running the establishment. It would be infinitely better to give him a call. Faster that way.
    They have credit card facilities and ensuite bathroom. And yes, there is water heater.
    November, I'm guessing it will be cold especially at night. It's in the mountains afterall.
    Ego bus is about 6 hours I think. But they do have stops. It's an interesting ride.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, came across your blog while researching for my Taiwan trip. Planning to go Taiwan next december with my hubby, mum and 2 kids and possibly other relatives.

    Can I ask if Cingjing is worth going in winter? Is the cold bearable most days? What time did you have to retreat to your bed because of the cold? We wanted to go in June for the fruits at Cingjing but heard it's super hot in Taipei so changed it to December. I'll be very sad to give up Cingjing for the weather.

    I also heard the route up to Starry (which I am interested in) is very dangerous. Is that true?

    And, any fruits left in December? Too cold for the walking trails? Sorry for the barrage of questions. And thanks for taking the time to answer.

    Btw, I'm Singaporean too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kei,
    Firstly, I'm no expert in Taiwan all year round, so, I'm speaking only from experience.

    Cingjing is up in the mountains. Starry is right at the top. It's cold in December and if you have elderly with you, they better be in thermals all the time. I think the children, properly attired will be fine.

    In my opinion, winter is not the best time to go cos there are no flowers, and the only fruits are persimmon and snow pears. Their cabbages are really sweet though. If you can, you should go during summer / autumn time. I can only imagine how beautiful it can be.

    Do drop me an email alinatan13 at gmail, I'll be happy to answer further!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete