Friday, December 25, 2009

Hello Christmas!

This time, I find myself in Kuala Lumpur, on the eve of Christmas and wondering for the umpteenth time why I booked that Tiger Flight... (this would probably make for a good story another time).
Clearing immigration at LCCT - I'm glad I have been here before. Things did not look as messy or as scary as I feared it might be. To my amazement, I was even able to hold my ground and demand to buy a 'direct to hotel' bus-ride (and I only read this on Trip Adviser). I was to find out later that the man behind the counter was trying to push his agenda on me, getting me to buy tickets from his bus company instead, which would have brought me to KL Sentral. Not the place I wanted to be.
Some how, I managed to get on the Star Shuttle. It's not very good looking, a bit old and a bit run-down. And boy, did my heart sink looking at her. I wasn't too sure if this bus was something like a scam on unsuspecting tourists. Then I thought - it must be a really elaborate scheme if they had to hire five to six thugs, get walkie-talkies and create these folders of time-table to con a few tourists. Well, they WERE inside the immigration area, unless the government has a hand in this too... I was reminded of my Jakarta customs experience and...
I had to calm myself.
An Aussie, I was to know his name later when we shared a shuttle service - Phil, short for Philip I guess, also boarded. He was very clearly new to KL and was also just like I was, a little overwhelmed, like a fish out of water, in the crazy bustle of KL.
I sat by myself and closed my eyes, feeling a little comforted at a kindred soul. Five minutes to our departure, three Chinese ladies boarded. From their conversation, I guessed they too were from Singapore. I felt safe.
I drifted in and out of sleep and when I woke, the three ladies were having an animated conversation about their return trip. They were thinking of hiring this bus again... or not.
I joined the conversation.
Oh how strange fate works. I mean, isn't this simply amazing? I was a little bit unsettled taking this dodgy looking bus. And by some strange, cosmic force, these three women showed up and we managed to hit it off. Better still, I realised they were staying at the Ritz Carlton... Oooo... my favourite hotel. They invited me to join them for lunch.
And even more amazing, the lovely ladies invited me up to their room and we had SUCH a long chat. We realised we had similar interests in eating, but then again, who DOESN'T!!! We exchanged contact and a promise to meet up, back in Singapore for some Japanese munchies. How amazing is that?
I recommended lunching at the Chinese Restaurant - Li Yen for dim sum. What fun it was. The food as usual was delicious. I have never been let down by the three times I ate there. What a consistent restaurant!
This time round, I was most impressed with the Deep fried chee cheong fun with dried shrimps as well as their yam in spinach sauce - what a clever combination and the flavours complemented each other very well.
(I shall load the pictures another time. Took it with my new iPhone, but I seem to have problems transferring the pictures)
Perhaps it was the holiday season. It made people friendly and more giving? I don't know. But somehow, they decided to give me a treat. What a warm gesture.
For someone who was looking at Christmas alone, I ended up making new friends and having a wonderful meal!
Merry Christmas everyone.
I hope something wonderful happened to make this Christmas as special as it was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment