Monday, December 21, 2009

Disassociated

I find myself stepping out of the station today at Raffles Place and thinking - how slow everyone is proceeding. My pace was distinctly out of sync with the other commuters, and I find myself consciously pacing down and shortening my stride.
Strange.
Had I walked too quickly? Or had people slowed down?
At that moment, you know an out of body experience? I kind of felt like I was looking at myself walking and also at the others around me. We have all slowed. There was no rush to the escalator up, no one was pushing that last few steps towards the gantry, no one was adding that extra step to prevent their queues from being cut.
Wait, didn't I just see another lady with the same dress - deja vu? Inwardly, I was glad I didn't get it from Yen three, or was it four, months ago.
Have we somehow become self-less? Have we somehow mindlessly trudged to work day in and out?
Worse, was I, am I, one of them?
 
I looked at the clock I was early. Maybe things are slower at this time. But it was really weird.
It's a peculiarly cold Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment